Structure of work-packages
The FAST project is structured into 7 Work Packages:
The general objectives of each work package (WP) and specific tasks (T), with indications of the lead partner and duration, are:
• WP1 - Management and coordination (Deltares). This Work Package has the objective of facilitate and ensure solid cooperation between consortium partners and the REA in order to ensure the successful proceeding and completion of the project on time and within budget. To attend project review meetings with the REA and to provide clear and concise minutes and progress reports to the REA as well as edited deliverables with well-structured lay-out.
– T1.1 - Project justification to the REA and submitting of deliverables and reports [Months: 1-48]
– T1.2 - Financial and legal management of the consortium [Months: 1-48]
• WP2 - RTD coordination (Deltares). The objective is to facilitate and to ensure scientific soundness of work within FAST and to maintain linkages between activities executed in different work packages. To summarise RTD activities within work packages in progress reports and to organise RTD content of General Assembly meetings.
– T2.1 - Coordination of RTD activities [Months: 1-48]
– T2.2 - Progress reporting [Months: 13-45]
• WP3 - Remote sensing of foreshore and floodplain biophysics (NIOZ) [Months: 1-45]. This Work Package focuses on the characterisation of environmental conditions of foreshore by remote sensing.
– T3.1 - Identify suitable GMES downstream services and collect spatial data [Months: 1-36]
– T3.2 - Identify suitable ground referencing sites and make a field protocol [Months: 1-4]
– T3.3 - Deriving algorithms for foreshore and floodplain identification [Months: 19-36]
– T3.4 - Linking sediment dynamics/erodibility to long-term bed stability [Months: 39-45]
– T3.5 - Delivery of standardised, validated data products for model input [Months: 10-36]
• WP4 - Biophysical ground referencing at case study sites (UCAM) [Months: 3-34]. The objective of WP4 is to determine the biological and physical characteristics of the estuarine/coastal wetland case study sites to establish relationships between these characteristics and the remote sensing measures developed in WP3. Establish how variability in biophysical characteristics impacts flood and erosion protection function (e.g. wave/flow attenuation and stability).
– T4.1 - Hyperspectral and ground-based laser scanner ground referencing [Months: 5-29]
– T4.2 - Foreshore vegetation characterisation [Months: 5-29]
– T4.3 - Measuring wave dissipation of different foreshore types [Months: 10-33]
– T4.4 - Measuring stability [Months: 3-30]
• WP5 - Data integration and tool development (Deltares) [Months: 1-46]. Managing data in a standardised manner and making data suitable for post processing. Derive general rules for relationships between foreshore and flood plain characteristics and wave attenuation, bed stability and levee design. Design, develop and validate a service in close collaboration with end-users. Ensure end-user commitment and involvement in tool design and testing.
– T5.1 - Data standardisation and data management [Months: 1-38]
– T5.2 - Link physical data with field derived vegetation data and scale-up using satellite images [Months: 31-38]
– T5.3 - Translation of generalised rules to design flood defences [Months: 19-44]
– T5.4 - Agile end-user consultation process [Months: 4-39]
– T5.5 - End-user driven software design and development [Months: 6-46]
– T5.6 - End-user driven business plan development [Months: 7-22]
• WP6 - Dissemination (UCA) [Months: 1-48]. The objective of the dissemination WP is to communicate FAST project findings to the general public and relevant target groups.
– T6.1 - To develop a communication and dissemination strategy [Months: 2-4]
– T6.2 - Transversal Communication and Diffusion Activities [Months: 1-46]
– T6.3 - Target specific Communication and Diffusion Activities [Months: 47-48]
– T6.4 - Final project dissemination meeting and synthesis report [Months: 43-48]
• WP7 - Demonstration of MI-SAFE (UCA) [Months: 39-46]. Finally, WP7 has the objective of demonstrating how to use the MI-SAFE service to maximise the potential uses of FAST products to co-create economical with ecological values and to communicate the project findings to relevant target groups.
– T7.1 - Development and implementation of a business plan and service level agreements [Months: 39-46]